Driving to Hirosaki
And other parts of Western Aomori Prefecture
- Exit the base from the main gate and turn right at the second traffic light (City Hall intersection).
- At the fourth traffic light, turn right again.
- Go straight through the first traffic light (across Main Street).
- This is route 8. Follow it for 17.4 KM. Then turn left at the traffic light onto Route 394 and go over the bridge.
- At .3 (three-tenths) of a KM turn right and go over another bridge.
- Continue straight (on a winding road) for about 2 KM where you will come to the intersection with Route 4.
- Go straight across Route 4 and you are on the Michinoku Toll Road.
- After about 20KM, you will come to a rest area on the left and a toll gate.
- Pay the ¥830 (at the time of this writing) and proceed along the Bypass.
(Tachineputa Festival and ELM Mall)
USING THE TOLL ROAD TO GET TO THE TSUGARU EXPRESSWAY:
- After paying the toll on the Michinoku Bypass, you will go through a tunnel and a few kilometers later you will see a green sign for the Aomori Higashi IC (Aomori Expressway).
- At that traffic light, turn left onto the Interchange which is a toll road.
- You will begin on the Aomori Expressway, which will seamlessly turn into the Tohoku Expressway.
- Get of the Tohoku expressway at the Goshogowara IC (toll is less than 1000Yen).
- The exit road is pretty long but eventually you will come to an intersetion with a traffic light.
- The cross street is Route 7. If you were to turn right, it would take you back to Aomori.
- Go straight through this intersection and you will be on the Tsugaru Expressway. This road is free.
WITHOUT USING THE TOLL ROAD TO GET TO THE TSUGARU EXPRESSWAY:
- Turn left at the T intersection drive straight down Route 44. When you come to the"Y" intersection with a traffic light, bear right. (This should be the 2nd light after the turn.)
- Continue on a short way until you reach the traffic light at a multiple lane road. This is Route 4.
- Turn left at the light and follow Route 4 until you see an overpass. Just before the overpass, there is a large intersection. This is the intersection with the Route 7 Bypass. Turn on to Route 7.
- Proceed on Route 7 around Aomori and eventually you will come to the Tsugaru Expressway. Turn right onto the Tsugaru (if you turn left, you will be on the Tohoku Expressway).
ONCE ON THE TSUGARU EXPRESSWAY:
- Follow the Tsugaru Expressway to the Goshogowara exit. (The exit before Goshogawara is Goshogowara Higashi. Do not take that this exit. Press on to the Goshogawara exit.)
- The exit takes you to Route 156. Go straight on 156.....
- You will see signs overhead with pictures of the tall Tachineputa Float with a distance listed. The float display building is about 4km from the Tsugaru Expressway exit.
- After going about 2km, the ELM Mall will be on the left and is clearly marked. You will also see a sign for Starbucks.
- To get to the TACHINEPUTA floats display continue down 156 and watch the overhead picture signs.
- The overhead sign will tell you to turn right onto route 339.
- At the fourth traffic light, turn left and proceed to the parking lot on the right. The side of the display building will be on the left. Go around the corner and you will see the entrance.
- There is also a JUSCO mall further along on Route 156. I am not sure haw far it is but its not too far. It will be on the right hand side.
- The Tachineputa Festival where they actually take these monsters out on the town is in August but I don't know where. I will add that when I can find out where the festival takes place.
Hirosaki Area Driving Instructions home